Your Swimrun plan for 2021 obviously took into account the worldwide pandemic that forced the cancellation of many, if not all, SwimRun events. We had to make up a plan to train at home in isolation, to maintain some level of fitness.
While it's now possible to train as normal, the issues we were forced to look at during lockdown may be useful going forwards.
The Garmin Swim 2 is an excellent watch for Swimrun!
Check it out at Amazon HERE! (#ad)
Motivation; When you have an event (or even better, several events) planned, you know that a while down the road you are going to be challenged physically. Your strength and endurance are going to be tested, and this gives you a reason to start and continue with some training.
Focus; Once you have selected a race to take part in, you know the distance and your approximate time. You can start to focus your training towards the requirements of the particular race.
Something to look forward to; Mentally, making a plan for a race in the future gives you something to look forward to. It becomes something that you think about, and occupies your time.
And there's NO SHORTAGE of events to choose from - Our SwimRun Calendars for Europe and USA/Rest of World are filling up, with organisers contacting us weekly to have their events included!
You can see our Europe 2024 Calendar HERE
and our USA / World 2023 Calendar HERE.
So how can you go about choosing a race to train for?
1. Choose a distance; Most events offer 3 distances.
2. Consider travel; You need to think about how far you want to travel for an event. Can you drive there? Or travel by rail or coach? Or even fly? It may be best to try to find an event as close as possible, to reduce your travel needs. If you can drive to the event in your own car, that would be optimal.
To look for events near you, you can search by country here.
3. Consider accommodation; You will need to consider where you will stay. Unless the race is within 20 - 40 miles of your home, you may want to consider staying overnight somewhere near the start. I know I do! Are there Air BnB opportunities in the area? Or can you stay with a friend or relation?
4. Solo or team? The original idea of SwimRun was that you took part as a team of two. This was for safety reasons. Recently, event organizers such as Ötillö have introduced the 'solo' option for shorter distances, such as 'Experience' and 'Sprint' races.
The longer World Series events are still mostly only open to teams of two. SO, do you plan to race alone as a solo competitor, or as a team of two?
Resources for training at home:
So what resources do we have? Here are some possibilities;
Click HERE for some ideas about the best home exercise equipment, available from Amazon!
Initial training is basic fitness training. If you were confined to your home during the pandemic, you know it is hard to keep up your fitness. The initial training you take on is basic fitness training. It will improve your respiratory capacity, your heart health, and your mental well-being.
Training at Home - SwimRun workouts
- a turbo trainer for your bike
- an elliptical trainer
- a home treadmill
- resistance bands
- A running route through your home/garage/backyard.
Have a look at our page on home workout plans for more ideas!
Alternatives to weights; You need a little imagination here! If you don't have any proper gym hand weights, you can use anything that weighs a few pounds;
Be sure to spend 10 to 15 minutes stretching after any home workout.
We have a page on home workout plans for swimrunners, showing the circuit training that we used to stay in shape when we couldn't leave the house.
Out of interest, here are the events that we looked at for 2021; We didn't do ANY of them - but they are events to look at online, dream of doing, and getting the training in to be able to take part should the opportunity arise!
1. Swimrun events
2. Swimming events;
3. Running events;
We didn't know which events would take place, if any, nor which ones we would have done enough training for; BUT this was our plan, something to dream about, plan for and look forward to!
Here is a light-hearted video that we made, just for fun.